I'm an 18 year old male, living in California. Over the past few weeks my motivation to do anything has gone way down. I haven't been to my college classes in almost 2 & a half weeks, because I simply am not motivated to go. I just don't want to do anything. The only thing that gets me out of this funk is being with my friends and playing video games because I don't have to worry about anything. I stopped working out, put on a few pounds, and I have a job. That seems to be the only thing I'm really motivated for because I get money for anything I want. But other than that, I don't want to do anything. I honestly feel like I have no place in this world and I'm destined to just sit on my ass (sorry for the language) and do nothing forever. What should I do doc?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.