I am asking about whether this is due to clinical depression, past child abuse or just plain character flaw. My husband of 18 years has basically been getting worse with his immoral behavior and ended up having to get drug treatment for meth addiction. Prior to the drug use he drank a lot and hung out at bars as a musician. He has had past episodes of lust issues. Flirting, chatting online and even picking up a hooker. He also has shown bad behavior to me by acting as if I owe him something and actually blaming me for his drug use. "If we didn't have marital problems, this would not have happened". I know I am not to blame for any of the crap he's done or caused but he also has had an unfortunate childhood with the typical Cinderella syndrome step-mom & step brother & sister. Also, his father was abusing alcohol and biological mom was a total nut case and is now on heavy depression meds. He says that he did not know what a normal childhood really was. Is this acceptable as why he turned out so crappy? He is now starting to realize what has happened and is showing lots of remorse for his selfishness. I told him that I no longer trust him but I still feel like if he got counseling about his childhood, he might actually be better able to work out his problems. I have told him that I am not making any promises as far as our future together is and that I like him staying in a clean and sober house for at least 6 more months to one year. I am financially stable and care for our kids alone so I really don't need him for anything other than being their dad. Please help if you can.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.