I am depressed about what I feel is my husband's drinking problem. As of lately, and on and off in the last 10 years it has affected our relationship. Quite simply I do not feel intimate towards him anymore. Over the last 10 years or so we have discussed this. He does not think he is doing anything and just recently told me he is not going to stop drinking. As far as I know, he only drinks when he is home on the weekends, but, now I am beginning to wonder if he also drinks when he is working out of town two nights a week. We have had numerous discussions about his behavioral change when he drinks but he doesn't think he acts any differently. He makes me feel like I am overreacting. He is not physically abusive, but, he does become emotionally abusive and intolerant, especially, towards our 10 year old son. Again, he does not think he is being emotionally abusive, but, as the 3rd person sitting at the dinner table on the weekends I notice the change from when he hasn't been drinking to when he is drinking. We usually end up in a big fight by the time dinner is over. He says he will not go to a therapist with me. I guess this is my problem now. Where should I go for help? ALNON?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.